Recently I spent a few hours to configure VPN connection using Juniper on my Fedora 15 laptop. Actually there is nothing difficult. But I’d like to mention to one nuance. Looks like Juniper doesn’t work with openJDK Firefox plugin. It needs Sun/Oracle only! Otherwise VPN connection will be terminated immediately after start without any errors or warnings. So, here a few simple steps to configure Juniper VPN connection on your Fedora 15:
- download and install the latest Java (choose your architecture – 32bit or 64bit);
- install xterm – sudo yum install xterm
- replace symlink on Java Firefox plugin – sudo ln -sf /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_25/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so
- restart the Firefox and launch your VPN connection. It run Juniper and ask you to accept certificates as well as root password in the xterm.
That’s it. You may use VPN connection now. Additionally you can setup a script to run VPN connection as it’s described in that post.
When I tried KDE 4.0 first time a few monthes ago I was very disappointed. The system was absolutely unusable. Mainly it was the reason why I didn’t upgrade my Fedora to version 9. But after 10 was released I decided to make an upgrade. I thought that KDE 4.1 should be better. It’s really better but to setup my accustomed environment I spent two days including GNOME configuration because I couldn’t work in KDE. So, I decided to write that post to share my experience and use it my myself what I’ll setup another PC.
Today I upgraded my work PC up to Fedora 8 (Werewolf). Unlike previous upgrades I tried to use yum. I run the procedure according to Upgrading Fedora Using Yum. It took about 3 – 4 hours and finished successfully. After rebooting I just install a plug-in to listen MP3
yum update alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
and patched VMWave to build vmnet on post 2.6.23 kernels. That’s it! Enjoying fast system
P. S. Another workaround. Any Java-based applications crashes with following error:
java: xcb_xlib.c:50: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock’ failed.
Hack which works for me is following:
sed -i ‘s/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g’ /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so
I’d like to introduce for all who use Linux Fedora this excellent set of Fedora Core 6 Tips and Tricks. I found very useful for me tips about installation of mplayer, Macromedia Flash, IEs4Linux and MS TrueType Fonts. I spent only a few minutes to setup good looking, functional work space.
There is a similar manual for Fedora Core 5.
After I loose my previous work environment I decided to install Fedora Core 6 released last month. It looks nice and works faster. But I found a big troubles with using Adobe Acrobat Reader. I downloaded RPM from Adobe site and installed it. But when I tried to open it I saw just continiusly repeated messages:
expr: syntax error
After five minutes of googling I found the solution:
1. Open file /usr/bin/acroread as root
2. Find the row 418
echo $mfile| sed ‘s/libgtk-x11-\([0-9]*\).0.so.0.\([0-9]\)00.\([0-9]*\)\|\(.*\)/\1\2\3/g’
3. Replace it by
echo $mfile| sed ‘s/libgtk-x11-\([0-9]*\).0.so.0.\([0-9]*\)00.\([0-9]*\)\|\(.*\)/\1\2\3/g’
4. Find the row 644
5. Replace it by
After this simple patching Acrobat Reader works fine.
Fedora Core 6 will support Intel-based Macs. It’s good news espessially I need to boot Linux on Mac Mini to have possibility use it as Plutohome media director. But it should be Debian and Mini should boot from via network.
Anyway, you can find a short explanation how to make Dual Booting with OS/X and Fedora Core 6. Also, Jeremy Katz reports some problems with Apple hardware like wireless with Atheros chipset. So, let’s wait release of 6th Fedora to use it on Macs.
After upgrate my work PC to Fedora Core 5 I found that Google Analytics didn’t display any text. I left it as it was (yes, yes, I know that it’s not characterize me good side). Today I lost my patience when tried to see SmartBlog statistic. The good article – “The flash plugin and X.Org 7.0 (X11R7) font problems” helped me resolve my problem. I made a symlink to X11 fonts configuration:
ln -s /etc/X11/fs/ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs
and restart Firefox. After that flash player found fonts and displayed text correctly.